Sunday, December 25, 2016

Michelle's 5-Star Reads of 2016 - An Eclectic List of Goodies

I have an Eclectic reading taste! I read and enjoy different genres. I'm not afraid to try a new author, but I also stick to my faves! I enjoyed another great read by Sandra Brown, read Jodi Picoult for the first time in years, if ever and revisited my old fashioned historical romances.
I used Goodreads to help me find my 5-Star Reads of 2016. They are not arranged in any order but SMALL GREAT THINGS is my absolute favorite read this year! Thought-Provoking. It was nominated in Goodreads as a literary fiction read of the year and that honor was well-deserved.


Small Great Things
Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I can't speak enough about this read. I was riveted from beginning to end. Reading Ruth's, Turk's and Kennedy's real and honest portrayal of racism and it's lasting impact will stay with me for some time. An amazing, well-crafted novel with some surprises and a satisfying conclusion is what you'll get from Small Great Things. Read the Author's note!!! ....This book reminds me of Victoria Christopher Murray's Stand Your Ground, which was also a 5-star read.


StingSting by Sandra Brown
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sandra Brown is one of my favorite authors. She never disappoints. Sting was filled with twists and turns and so many surprises. I read this in hours. Excellent read. Loved Jude and Jordie's story.





The Pastor's HusbandThe Pastor's Husband by Tiffany L. Warren
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a tale from start to end. From the title to the cover, I enjoyed Tiffany Warren's read. There was a big lesson to be learnt about trusting God and allowing Him to lead. I have enjoyed other works from Tiffany and she did it again with this read!


View all my reviews When I'm GoneWhen I'm Gone by Emily Bleeker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

From the beginning to the end, I was caught up in the storyline. It warmed my heart. I would read it again!





Copycat
Purchase Your Copy
Copycat by Kimberla Lawson Roby
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First off, I love the title, Copycat. How fitting! From page one until the end, Copycat takes on a journey of every author's nightmare. But it also touches on how easy it can be to cross over the line from admiration to jealousy/envy. A big takeaway is how we cannot be too quick to open our hearts and lives to someone without getting to know them well. Our heroine, Traci so badly wanted a friend that she ignored the warning signs because Simone came with several red flags. Simone, a product of her past, accurately represented the person who repeats the same cycle and makes the same mistakes but refuses to change. Simone had everything she needed but she wasn't satisfied. As I read, all I could think about was how we needed to be content with what we have. We have to learn that no matter the state we're in, to be content. A thoughtful read that opens up conversations and hopefully some life-changing reflection.
Release Date: January 31, 2017


Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
Purchase your Copy
Gone by Elisabeth Naughton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Raegan and Alec had a powerful love. As parents, they went through a huge devastation in the abduction of their child. This kind of tragedy can either pull people closer or tear them apart. Three years after they lost their daughter, Raegan and Alec are reunited because of similar case and realize their feelings haven't changed, Filled with suspense, romance, intrigue and justice, Gone kept me glued until the end. I enjoyed the flawed characters and how they were able to overcome their past. I enjoyed this book very book. It had all the elements needed for great story-telling that makes me eager to read more of Elisabeth Naughton.
Release Date: January 10, 2017


Only Beloved (The Survivors' Club, #7)Only Beloved by Mary Balogh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed George and Dora's story. I loved the fact that the hero and heroine were older. I finished it in one day. I laughed and I cried. Superb storytelling. I definitely want to read the rest of the books in the series.





View all my reviews The Girl from Summer Hill (Summer Hill, #1)The Girl from Summer Hill by Jude Deveraux
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The opening line!! Need I say more. I could sip my tea and watch that. I really enjoyed Jude Deveraux' homage to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. She drew me in from the first line until the last. I read it in hours. I loved it! The humor, the secrets and a satisfying conclusion kept me glued until the end.



Playing the Hand You're DealtPlaying the Hand You're Dealt by Trice Hickman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book had a storyline that had me glued. Love is complicated but the question remains, Can we help who we love? Emily had be turning the pages until the end. Skilled writing by Trice Hickman.




Rescued By a Lady's Love (Lords of Honor Book 3)Rescued By a Lady's Love by Christi Caldwell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love Beauty and the Beast. Any variation of that storyline has me hooked! I loved it from the start to the end. I would read this again!





The Heart of a Scoundrel (The Heart of a Duke, #6)The Heart of a Scoundrel by Christi Caldwell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've read several of Christi Caldwell's books and enjoyed them. I was glad to see the ruthless earl finally meet his match. Edmund and Phoebe's story had me enraptured from beginning to end. I love historicals and romances so this HEA warmed my heart.



The Winter Reunion (Restoration Series Book 1)
The Winter Reunion by Rhonda McKnight
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read The Winter Reunion in less than an hour and it was time well spent. Once I began, I was pulled into the storyline. It was clear this story would live up to the beautiful cover! I found the plot intriguing. Anne and Stephen's reunion and love story shows us the enduring power of love and the blessing that comes with forgiveness. It also clearly shows the hand of God and if we open ourselves to listen to Him, we will find peace... and in this case, true love. Everything in this read has meaning. The dialogue was seamless and the scripture references made the story authentic. Another amazing job by Rhonda McKnight. Loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment