Monday, June 19, 2017

Review: Keep You Safe

Keep You Safe Keep You Safe by Melissa Hill
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Whew! Where do I start. First off, I think this is the best book I've read so far this year. Melissa Hill tackled a serious issue of vaccinations: Should we? Or, shouldn't we? What is best for our children?
Set in Knockroe/Dublin, we meet Madeleine and Kate, two mothers, who both share the same desire: Keep their daughters safe. However, both of these women had two different parenting styles. My stomach clenched when I was about 60% through because I had no idea what was going to happen, what the outcome of such a controversial topic would be. Melissa Hill does a phenomenal job of presenting two strong characters and their opposing viewpoints. There is conflict, depth, politics, sensationalism, tension, and the never ending question: What would you do? What is the right thing to do?
All I can say is, not everything can be answered in black and white. I lived both sides with the women, though I found myself rooting for one over the other. I think some might find the court scenes a little difficult to trudge through as it was repetitive - but that's how it is in court. I enjoyed it. So, please hang in there until you get to the end. The ending was one I didn't see coming but it was real. Melissa Hill tied things up neatly, maybe too neatly, but I suppose after such a stomach-clenching ride, we needed that breathe of fresh air.
Absolutely loved loved this read. I can't imagine the research Melissa Hill had to have done to deliver such an authentic tale.
Some memorable quotes:
"Don't child-proof the world, is my motto. World-proof the child."
"I just wonder how many times you can get kicked when you're down before that spirit becomes broken."
Thank you, Netgalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment