Sunday, August 16, 2020

Review: Wrath

Wrath Wrath by Victoria Christopher Murray
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wrath is a story of Chastity Butler and Xavier Owens who share an instant connection. They have so much in common and their love story is a fairy tale. They are swept away by an attraction that is so strong that they marry within months of meeting each other. Ignoring the advice of friends and family, they jump all in.

But Chastity and Xavier each have baggage that interfere with the success of their relationship and eventually their marriage. Chastity's father was once a cheat and Xavier was a produce of abuse.
Chastity has parents who dotes on her while Xavier has never felt truly loved by the adults in his life. Within him is an anger that grows and grows until he unleashes it in a way from which he can never recover.

The beginning felt like I was going up a roller coaster ride. Then, from chapter 14 onward, I was in a groove, drawn in by the work of Ms. Christopher Murray's pen. She has a way of writing that grabs and draws you in as the story unfolds. There were many moments where I found myself rooting for Xavier. But can you root for someone who refuses to get help or acknowledge a deep-rooted issue? However, this is mastery at its best, because I would have been his champion if he had been willing to listen. We can hear so many things but to truly listen requires action. Change. A desire to change is not the same as actually changing.

A poignant scene was the sermon presented by Chastity's own father. What a message. Inspiring. True. An on-time word.

When I got to the end of the story, I was left in a state of deep thinking. I had to marinate on what I read. Reality can be jarring. Sad. The issue of domestic violence is still one that needs to be addressed in several mediums. I believe Victoria Christopher Murray taking this approach will leave many of us with takeaways long after it's done.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment