Friday, August 13, 2021

Review: The Second Life of Mirielle West

The Second Life of Mirielle West The Second Life of Mirielle West by Amanda Skenandore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A film star's wife is torn away from her family and forced to live at Carville's Lepers Home after what she thought would be a routine visit to the doctor. Carville was a real institution for lepers in Louisiana which forcibly quarantined thousands of people with leprosy in the 20th century.
Mirielle West experiences a wide gamut of emotions and experiences as she falls from her stature of a socialite to an unknown, adopting a different name to avoid recognition and to protect her family.
The author's background in the medical field add to the authenticity of the story. As I was reading, I could understand a lot of Mirielle's behaviors and attitudes though she wasn't always likable. I needed to find out what would happen to her physically but also emotionally. I enjoyed this story and look forward to reading more.
Thank you, Netgalley

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment