Tuesday, March 2, 2021

ASPIRING AUTHORS: It's not just about starting but most importantly, it is about finishing.

Michelle Lindo-Rice aka
Zoey Marie Jackson


I use Michelle's Book Stop to share book reviews and also to share chapters from my upcoming books. Today I wanted to write something for aspiring authors.

Many of my author friends, myself included, have full-time jobs. One question I always get asked is: How do you find the time to write?

My response always is: You have to MAKE time to write.

To write a novel requires consistency. It requires overcoming the doubt while you are writing and pressing on until you get to the end. And for me, sometimes, it requires writing even when I don't feel like it. That is the key: To finish. There are many incomplete manuscripts on our laptops. Manuscripts that were abandoned to write something else. Why does this happen? I think sometimes it is because the author isn't sure where to go or what to do but mostly, in my opinion, writing requires discipline.

I usually set a realistic goal and write every day when I am working on a novel. But, while the first five pages of the manuscript are important - extremely important - most in the industry know, it is also about completion. Finishing what you have started. Book contracts are written with completion in mind. Yes, there is a payment upon signing but the final payment comes after the acceptance of a complete manuscript. Most editors want to know: when will you have it done? A deadline.

To meet my deadline for my Harlequin book, I did a few things differently this time. Before I could receive the contract, I had to write a complete synopsis. So, I knew exactly how the story would develop. For me, as a pantser, this was new. Once I had my synopsis, I then plotted out all the chapters and my timeline. (Harlequin requires two point-of-views in each chapter.) Once this was done, I plugged in my desired word count and my personal deadline.

I had a deadline of April 15th to submit to the editor at Harlequin, but being me, I set my deadline for March 5th. I used an app to track my words. To meet my deadline, I knew I would have to write about 1247 words every day. I also knew my writing speed. I can write about 700 words in thirty minutes (really 900-1000 if I'm in a flow). So, I knew to meet my goal, I would need about an hour each day. That was something I knew I could do, even with a full-time job. Plus, don't forget about weekends. And, sprints with other writers.

I finished my rough draft in record time! Consistency was the key. While writing, it is not about getting everything right. It is about getting everything done. Once you're finished, then you worry about editing and fixing.
So, set a goal and begin writing. Each word you write, is one more word toward your goal.

Read my article with Harlequin here:

1 comment: