Sunday, January 23, 2022

Review: By Design: The Story of Ann Lowe, Society's Best-Kept Secret

By Design: The Story of Ann Lowe, Society's Best-Kept Secret By Design: The Story of Ann Lowe, Society's Best-Kept Secret by Piper Huguley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The story of the best kept secret in high society. By Her Own Design is the story of Ann Lowe, a black designer and granddaughter of slaves in Alabama, who designed the iconic wedding dress of Jacqueline Kennedy, First Lady of the United States.
The story begins a few days before Jacqueline Bouvier will marry John F. Kennedy Jr and a pipe has destroyed the wedding dress. We see Ann and her church sisters scrambling to recreate the dresses. Then we are taken back to learn more about Ann's early life in Alabama and her auspicious beginnings to fulfilling her dream in Tampa and then to New York City.
Whew! I finished this in hours. I started in the evening and finished up the next morning. I love historical fiction but I know that its success is based on the research of the writer and talent with which the author is able to weave the story together. Piper Huguley gave me a story that had my eyes glued, I became caught up in this remarkable woman's life. Ann Lowe had the raw talent and creativity but also the tenacity to overcome despite the challenges of her race during that time.
It is uplifting to read about African-Americans who rise above their circumstances and who were able to create a lasting legacy. Ann had so much sadness in her life but that didn't stop her from moving forward. Piper Huguley made me feel as if I were in that time--I felt every scene. Particularly when Ann went to Design School. How my heart ached and yet warmed at how Ann was determined to bloom wherever she was planted.
I absolutely loved this story and I can't wait to read more works like this from Piper Huguley. The author's note just showcased Piper's research and originality--where she added creative pieces that made this read wonderful. Well-written, easy flow and captivating descriptions. I believe readers will get many takeaways and will be lined up waiting for her next historical fiction work. And to think this all began with a tweet.
Thank you #Netgalley for this ARC.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment