Monday, January 3, 2022

Review: The Personal Librarian

The Personal Librarian The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"One day, Belle, we will be able to reach back through the decades and claim you as one of our own."

The Personal Librarian tells the story of Belle da Costa Greene who is hired by J.P. Morgan to oversee his personal collection of books, manuscripts and artwork. She is only in her twenties but quickly becomes known for her ruthless and shrewd tactics that earns her world-wide respect among her male peers. But this remarkable woman has a secret that defines all aspect of her life: she is a black woman. A black woman who lives as white. She must hold onto that secret if she wants to keep her job and her family safe.

I bought both the kindle and hardcover copies when this was released, but I didn't read it until now. I must say that I became engrossed really quickly in this read. I have read both authors works and I am familiar with their styles but this read presented as a seamless read, so the cohesion between the women is apparent in the writing.

As I read, I fell in love with Belle's spunk and her moments of rebellion. I was especially touched by how much fear she lived in, a constant fear of being discovered. That fear encompassed all areas of her life which was sad to see. But to know a woman of color helped to shape such a magnificent public institution, I felt so much pride (thus the quote above). I plan on visiting the library after reading this book. The descriptions provided gave me an image of grandeur and opulence that I must see for myself soon.

I definitely recommend this read and look forward to reading more by both of these authors. More like this, please (that's why I read Marie Benedict's historical fiction). More books celebrating our women, especially women of color.

Another Memorable Quote:
"Let’s focus on what we have in common and not on the differences that have pulled us apart.” When I read this, all I could think was, we have a long way to go for this wish to come true. Belle's father was a part of this movement and here we are decades later, still in the same fight. But, I do remain hopeful.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment