Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Review: How to Catch a Queen

How to Catch a Queen How to Catch a Queen by Alyssa Cole
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How to Catch a Queen is the first book in Alyssa Cole's Runaway Royals series and my first read from this author.

Shanti Mohapi agrees to wed Sanyu, king of Njaza to fulfill her lifelong dream to become a queen. After working all her life and preparing for this role, the reality is not what she expected. She is immediately physically attracted to her new husband but she is viewed as an outsider and her marriage has an end date before it has even began.

Sanyu is an unwilling king and only marries Shanti because it is required. He wants to run away from the kingship which he feels stifles him. Sanyu will never be the king his father was. Njaza is in trouble and Sanyu doubts he will be able to help his country out of their political struggle. He desires his wife but has been taught love should not be a part of this equation.

This story was a slow build. Both characters had issues to work on and it was good to see their development. Shanti was a brilliant woman and I did wonder why she would have such a goal to be a queen. But, I loved her wit and her skill and the fact that she learned to rely on her personal strength.

Sanyu had the physical but not the mental brawn. It was good to him come to accept and view himself as king and act accordingly. But he did try my patience as times. Though I loved him.

The passion between the characters was believable and I absolutely loved reading about them working together.

My biggest issue was another character. He was positively evil and a perfectly crafted bad guy. I would have liked to see him really get his comeuppance. But, I guess, everyone deserves a second chance.

Alyssa Cole is a dynamic and masterful writer. I was sucked into the story. I will definitely read more from this author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment