Thursday, September 24, 2020

Review: Carnegie's Maid

Carnegie's Maid Carnegie's Maid by Marie Benedict
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Clara Kelly is an imposter, pretending to be an Irish maid. Another woman with the same name was supposed to get the job but she is nowhere to be found. She Clara assumes her identity and works for the Carnegie's in Pittsburgh.
Clara's family in Ireland desperately needs her financial help so she has to succeed in her new role as a lady's maid for the Andrew and Tom Carnegie's mother. Mrs. Carnegie is tough and not so easy to please but Clara strives to meet the other woman's demanding expectations.
But her identity isn't the only thing Clara is hiding: her intelligence. One that Andrew Carnegie sees right away. Together they form a friendship and Andrew begins to seek her out, relying on her advice on business matters. Soon, Andrew comes to mean more to her than just being her boss but Clara knows that her families' welfare could be jeopardized if he learns the truth. But her relationship with Andrew Carnegie might have influenced his philanthropy.
I was glued reading this story by Marie Benedict - my second by this author. This tale shows the author's imagination and her ability to tell a believable tale. I felt like I was taken back in time and I could see the plight of the immigrants during this time. My heart broke reading about the poverty and the struggle. The discrepancy between the rich and poor was pronounced and really impactful. My next read is, The Other Woman in the Room. All I can say is, keep them coming. I love Marie Benedict's creativity. Her work is a masterful blend of history and fiction.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment