Sunday, September 13, 2020

Review: Do No Harm

Do No Harm Do No Harm by Christina McDonald
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Emma is a doctor who has huge student loan bills, so while she and her detective husband, Nate, are comfortable, they cannot afford any calamity. Then her five year old son, Josh, becomes ill and is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.
As any mother can relate and understand, Emma is desperate to save her son's life. Josh needs a costly procedure that her insurance will not cover and Emma decides to get the money herself. She will do anything necessary to save him, even sell opiods.
Whew! What a read.
I admit I have mixed feelings about this one. I am a huge fan of the author. And when it comes to descriptions and laying out the scenes, she did not disappoint. Christina McDonald made me visualize everything Emma and Nate were facing. I felt their panic, their pressure and their love for their son. What I didn't get about Emma's character was how she beelined toward the decision to sell opiods so quickly.
She was twisty and at times, cold. I found some of her actions really horrible all the while saying, the ends justifies the means. So, while I had to read what would happen, I didn't like how she was comfortable lying and using the men in her life to get her way.
So many things happened that made this read emotional and intense but again, there was no redemption for this character. I read it quickly, tore through it but even now, I am not sure how I feel. I look forward to more from this author as her skills are off-the-charts.
Thank you #Netgalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment