Sunday, September 27, 2020

Review: Somebody's Daughter

Somebody's Daughter Somebody's Daughter by Rochelle B. Weinstein
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Emma and Bobby Ross live in a hotel with their twin daughters in Miami Beach. They have a charmed life, great friends, and their family unit appears to have an unbreakable bond. But on the night of their daughters, Zoe and Lily's fifteenth birthday, things take a drastic turn.
A video of Zoe in a compromising position goes viral and the Ross family finds themselves embroiled in a public scandal. Soon, they find themselves judged harshly and the objects of pity and scorn. The incident has brings back memories of Emma's own past to the forefront. A past that could tear her family apart.
Whew! This is not my first Rochelle Weinstein read. She tackled the dangers of social media and covered the topic of harassment and cyber-bullying etc. What a topic to cover with young girls and sexuality. I loved the development of the story, even though Bobby's character arc made me dislike him at times. He was so...rigid. I do think Emma's revelation dragged a bit. Themes such as family, love, forgiveness were threaded throughout. For me, this was read about moving on after a big mistake. Yes, you can do. You must keep going. And you can, with love. And, as a mother, I understood Emma. I am going to love my children no matter what. I cried at the end, though some may see it as cheesy and neat.
There were some memorable quotes:
"Family doesn't abandon each other at tough times. Families don't pick and choose the parts to love. Families fight for each other no matter what tries to break them apart."
"Let me tell you what love means. It means we're all profoundly human. That we make mistakes, and we accept each other's faults. It means we value each other more than our pride."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment